Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I think I can, I think I can

I think I can find time to update you all on the kids.

Samantha finished her school year.  Her teacher described her as a "contentious student" and a "very good reader".  She was just a few books shy of 500, but read them the day after school ended just so she could say she did it.  That's my girl!  She told me the other day that the kids at school call her "Mother Nature" sometimes because she loves nature so much.  She couldn't wait to see the rock I brought from the beach in Barcelona. While we were away in Barcelona, she made a list of things to tell me from "You are the best mommy in the World" to "We found AJ's Spiderman under the couch cushion".   
It was sad to say goodbye to her babysitter.  They were a cute pair of Samanthas.  I am sure they will see each other again, but that daily connection won't ever be the same.  This week she is enjoying theater camp.  She'll also attend "Shipwrecked" camp for several weeks learning about new locations/cultures and with many field trips and swim trips.  But, she is anticipating our trip to the beach as the highlight of her summer!  

New nickname = MoNa (short for Mother Nature). She hated (with a passion) Crash anyway.

AJ is constantly talking right now (ok, honestly he has been constantly talking since age 2). It almost makes my brain hurt.  He remembers everything and wants to share everything.  Every word of every book read to him.  Every moment and detail of every movie or TV show he has seen.  Every pixel of every drawing he did at school.  I cannot help but wonder what he is going to do with this energy and his life.  Today he told me he is going to design a car with just one seat...not a motorcycle but a car.  He is going to work on math and handwriting EVERYDAY so he gets really smart so he can design this car.  Yesterday, he was going to be a singer. Oh, and don't judge me, but this kid knows all the words to all the Mumford and Sons songs. Its sort of scary.  

Matthew is really developing into quite the personality.  Just a few weeks ago we visited the doctor for his 18 mo appointment.  He is a peanut just like the other two.  Tipping the scale at about 21 lbs (not sure the height).  Basically 25% in height and only 10th in weight.  He has the WHITEST hair.  Complete strangers find it blinding and tell me so.  "He is the most toe-headed child I have ever seen"  "You really have quite the Aryan child!"  He is extremely non-verbal.  So much so that the doctor wants me to send her an email in a few weeks to let her know if his vocabulary is expanding. I love his doc, but I am not worried.  The kid follows instruction better than his siblings, so he understands language.  He is just not ready to use it.  His caretaker said, "He is a silent force".  She doesn't find his non verbal communication a hindrance at all.  Of course, since that visit two weeks ago, he is starting to say more and even give some instructions. He told me to "read it" this morning. (totally not necessary, because if he brings me a book and sits on my lap I know what he wants...who needs words?)  Oh, he is so pale (and putting sunscreen on him makes it worse).  He sleeps under his blanket and will sometimes hide under it when we come to get him in the morning that we've started calling him "Casper".





No comments: