Tuesday, January 4, 2011

3 years ago...baby now 'little boy'

Andrew Joseph continues to surprise us from his slightly early arrival to his sense of humor. I was thinking back this evening to the special times we've had with him from early labor, while I was at work and doing experiments, to his story telling in the car this evening.
You can see some pictures of him from the first few days HERE.

Read about his first birthday HERE.

See how much he transformed from year 1 to year 2 HERE.
I think David would agree that Andrew has been far more of a challenge that we ever thought a child could be! My dad used to say that Andrew just didn't know how to relax or to express himself- Dad believed that Andrew used crying to express every emotion. There weren't alot of laughs his first year. We were exhausted and while we knew there was nothing 'wrong' with him, he suffered from recurrent ear infections and he seemed to be struggling with food intolerances. He still was a snuggly child and while he was never big, he has almost always been making progress. The 5 S's became daily regiment for us. As Andrew learned to talk and get around, the world opened up for him. At times we still feel like he is more rigid than his sister (isn't crazy about new surroundings or large groups of people), but he is our amazing AJ.
In the past year, he has transitioned from his obsession with moving vehicles to a true sports lover. Football is currently his FAVORITE! He knows many NFL teams by their helmets, especially the Saints, the Titans and the Browns (Thanks, Uncle Joey). He is learning his letters at a rapid pace now and likes to use the magnets on the frig to spell out his name. When he does puts up the magnets it usually looks something like this "AN BODT EW" (he has the beginning and end down but doesn't really know the middle). Just today he learned his planets...in ONE day! He is one smart cookie and uses it to manipulate us. Well, we try not to let him manipulate us but he's good. Really good. Seriously though, he knows how to 'turn on the charm' when he has done something wrong (he still uses his 'eyes'), but unfortunately he can still throw a temper tantrum like the best of them.
He is a such a precious child. I have enjoyed watching him grow and learn so much this year. Everyday I thank God for him. What a blessing! He is loved by so many and I surely understand why. I told him yesterday that I hope he will never, never get too old to give me hugs! They are amazing. God help us raise him to be a patient, loving young man!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Happy birthday, AJ! I love that last picture of him - what a sweet little guy.